Arkansas UDC Raising Funds For Sculpture Restorations
PINE BLUFF, Ark. - The Arkansas Division, United Daughters of
The Confederacy, has created the UDC-CSA Fund to restore and
maintain Confederate sculptures in Arkansas.
On May 27, 1911, the Harris Flanagin Chapter #1184 of the Arkansas
Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, unveiled a magnificent
monument "To the memory of the soldiers of the Southern
Confederacy" in Arkadelphia. The monument was placed on
the lawn of the Clark County Courthouse where it stood until
a tornado struck on March 1, 1997. A year earlier the monument
had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The tornado broke the marble shaft into two pieces, decapitated
the soldier and broke him from his legs. Since then, the monument
has laid in disrepair. The head was removed from the scene and
more than two years passed before the posting of a reward returned
This past June, representatives of the UDC Arkansas Division
met with county officials to discuss the possibilities of restoring
the monument and placing it on its original base on the Courthouse
The Arkansas Division has now established a monument restoration,
repair and maintenance fund, The UDC-CSA Fund, for the Confederate
Sculptures in Arkansas. The division has launched the largest
fund- raising campaign in its 105-year history.
The group hopes that the results of the campaign will provide
for the complete restoration of the Confederate Monument as
well as necessary funds for the repair and maintenance of all
Confederate sculptures in Arkansas. The need for this fund was
amplified by the severe damage to the Confederate Monument in
Fayetteville last winter when an ice storm struck Arkansas.
Tax deductible donations payable to UDC-CSA Fund may be sent
to the Arkansas Division UDC, P.O. Box 7226, Pine Bluff, AR.
Information is available by mail or fax to (870) 535-3576.