News Stories / News
Archive / Preservation Columns / Book
Reviews / |
Briefs / Subscriptions /
Testimonials / Artillery
/ Feedback / Links
Ceremony Honors Commandant Of Salisbury Prison
- (December 2006) SNOW HILL, N.C. - Salisbury Confederate Prison Commandant Capt. Swift Galloway was remembered by the Salisbury Confederate Prison Association Inc. (SCPA) at a Sept. 16 memorial service in the historic St. Barnabas Episcopal Church where Galloway was a member and where his funeral was held in 1908.
Galloway was Commandant in Salisbury from October 1863 through May 1864. A native of Brunswick County he had served in the 3rd North Carolina Troops until wounded at the battle of Malvern Hill, Va. Unable to return to battlefield duty he was detailed to Salisbury.
While in Salisbury he raised a company that included the young Brodie Duke who after the war led his family into the tobacco industry. Following the war Galloway worked as an attorney and was elected to the North Carolina House of Representatives where he served as Chairman of the Veterans Pension Committee.
The service was held in the church, which is now used only for special occasions. The flags and wreaths decorating the church were placed at Galloway's nearby grave. Prior to the benediction Galloway descendant Martha Glossip released a white star-shaped balloon.
Refreshments followed at the Greene County Museum. Winifred Watson, who owns Galloway's home, gave the Salisbury Confederate Prison Association two wooden porch railing spindles for display at the Prison Museum and Learning Center that it is working to establish. The association gave copies of Louis Brown's The Salisbury Prison to the museum.
Among those taking part in the program were SCPA president Sue Curtis, Ed Curtis, The Rev. Stephen Ginn, Mike Edge, and representatives of Onslow Guards UDC Chapter No. 1477 of Jacksonville, J.E.B. Stuart UDC Chapter No. 483 of Fayetteville and the North Carolina Naval Squadron. Flags and wreaths were provided by the SCPA, Robert F. Hoke UDC Chapter No. 78 and the Gov. John W. Ellis SCV Camp No. 1841.