Federal Grants Given To Six Civil War Battlefields
(July 2012 Civil War News)
WASHINGTON – The National Park Service (NPS) recently awarded more than $3.8 million in matching grants for land acquisition at six Civil War battlefields through easements or fee simple purchase.
Grants were awarded at Cross Keys, Tom’s Brook and Buckland Mills, Virginia; Mill Springs, Kentucky; South Mountain, Maryland; and Bentonville, North Carolina
The grants were made from the National Park Service’s American Battlefield Protection Program (ABPP) to help states and communities acquire and preserve threatened Civil War battlefield land outside national park boundaries. Priority was given to battlefields listed in the NPS’s Civil War Sites Advisory Commission Report on the Nation’s Civil War Battlefields.
The grantees and awards are:
- Pulaski County, Ky., Mill Springs Battlefield, Gladstone Tract, fee simple, $90,800.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, South Mountain Battlefield, Tieman Tract, fee simple, $149,000.
- North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Bentonville Battlefield, Lawyers Mutual Tract, fee simple, $45,325.
- Fauquier County, Va., Buckland Mills Battlefield: Bishop’s Run Tract, easement, $2,300,000; Ted’s Tack Shack Tract, two easements, $804,864 and $245,196.
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Cross Keys Battlefield, Miller Tract, easement, $181,125.
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Tom’s Brook Battlefield, Kibler Tract, easement, $25,000.
The grant funds were made available under the Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act of 2011 (Public Law 112-10) and the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012 (Public Law 112-74), which appropriated a combined $17,967,600 for the Civil War battlefield land acquisition grants program.
The federal Land and Water Conservation Fund Civil War Battlefield Land Acquisition Grants are awarded through a competitive process to units of state and local governments or their private non-profit partners. Each grant requires a dollar-for-dollar non-federal match. Applications for the balance of the funds are accepted at any time.
For further information, contact Grants Manager Kristen McMasters at (202) 354-2037 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Guidelines and application forms are available at www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp