News Stories / News
Archive / Preservation Columns / Book
Reviews / |
Briefs / Subscriptions /
Testimonials / Artillery
/ Feedback / Links
Easement Protects 33 More Acres At Cedar Creek
(April 2007) NEW MARKET, Va.-The Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation recently announced donation of a conservation easement that protects an additional 33 acres on the Cedar Creek battlefield.
The Powers family of Winchester owns the parcel that lies along the North Fork of the Shenandoah River in Warren County, just downstream from the confluence of the river and Cedar Creek. It will continue in its current agricultural use.
With the donation, the Battlefields Foundation has preserved 304 acres in the Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park. Of the nearly 3,500 acres within the park, almost 1,200 have been protected by private landowners, local government and private conservation organizations.
The protected 33-acre tract is part of the Powers family's Fair Meadow Farm. It is near a 137-acre parcel that the Battlefields Foundation purchased from the family last summer.
The property is in the core area of the Cedar Creek battlefield where more than 47,000 soldiers fought in what would become the last major Civil War battle in the Shenandoah Valley on Oct. 19, 1864.
Many of the Confederates waded through the North Fork of the Shenandoah River at McInturff's Ford and Bowman's Ford on the newly conserved property. As a result, the Battlefields Foundation refers to it as the "Shenandoah River Fords" property.
The conservation easement will keep the property in private ownership while protecting its historic and natural resources. The Foundation is working with 30 additional landowners on projects that could preserve more than 3,000 additional acres at the Valley's battlefields.